- Tusu works at Minute Suites in Philadelphia International Airport.
- I consider her an domain expert in my industry, as Minute Suites offers a similar product in Philadelphia.
- I called Tusu on the phone.
- I asked her a few questions about what they offer, specifically regarding the hours and the prices.
- With Tusu in my network, I can find out more about what has worked for them, and what customers responses have been.
- Allia is a travel agent, booking a lot of travel and entertainment in Orlando.
- I consider her an expert on my market, as she targets the same market I would target for this product.
- I called Allia on the phone.
- I asked Allia several questions about travelers habits and preferences, and how they spend time in airports, and what their feedback has been on different airport experiences.
- With Allia in my network, perhaps we can establish a strategic alliance, and she can suggest my business for customers she identifies who could benefit from it.
- Angela works at A & A Halal Distributors.
- She is an important supplier in my industry, as a wholesale distributor of groceries, she supplies snacks and drinks.
- I called Angela on the phone.
- I asked her a few questions about what they could offer such as snacks and drinks with long shelf life, not too messy, convenient for the type of space we are discussing.
- With Angela in my network, she could provide refreshments for my customers, enhancing the experience, and perhaps even as a revenue driver.
This exercise was the first in which I considered networking contacts from different angles of a business. Networking experiences in the past have focused more on knowing someone who knows someone for a job opportunity. This goes beyond that and considers the relationships with more depth. Approaching network from this angle can lead to a more keen understanding of the value of contacts and relationships.
There is definitely a large value in contact and relationships. You may have to go out of your way to meet new people but the payoff can be game changing. Good job on the assignment.
ReplyDeleteIt seems like you contacted good people to get the information you needed. Sometimes getting insight from people who are doing what you are interested in will show you what you should and shouldn't do. I agree with you about this exercise making you talk to a person directly than what has previously been done.
ReplyDeleteWow, it seems like you really spoke to all the right people: someone who works at a hotel, a travel agent, and a food distributor. It really seems like you have all your bases covered there. There is definitely a networking advantage here obviously, but like you stated it seems like you went beyond that by really probing experts in these fields. Good job.
ReplyDeleteI like that you outlined each aspect of this assignment so specifically. I think you have some good starting connections who hopefully will help you out with your idea! Unlike you, I used connections I had previously met rather than all totally new ones that I didn’t know of at all. Either way, I think you have a good start here!
ReplyDeleteWhat exactly was your process in finding and getting connected with those various people? Also, did you receive good feedback on your idea from Tusu who works in a similar industry as yours? I like that you chose contacts in a well rounded way who could contribute something to each side of your business idea.
ReplyDeleteI like that you were able to look at this exercise from a different perspective and see the relevance in the real world. I also felt the same way as you when I was initially attempting to "network" with the people around me, and I didn't realize that it's actually a much more complex and detailed process that yields many rewards if executed correctly.
ReplyDelete