Sunday, June 12, 2016

Need Awareness and Information Search

I interviewed three people who expressed a need for private rooms in airport terminals at Orlando International Airport.


I found that they generally identify their need when they book their travel. They do not usually plan in advance how they will spend their time waiting, even when they identify the need to fill the time. I found they mostly look around the terminal to determine a way to make effective use of their waiting period. Most people get something to eat and try to find somewhere comfortable. There seems to be more interest in finding a place to sleep than to do work. The people I interviewed look for comfort, security for their belongings and convenience in proximity to charging stations. 


7 comments:

  1. It was good that you identify when people would look into having the private room. I don't think most people consider how they will spend their waiting time and in some instances have to wait longer because of delays or cancellations. I would also have to agree with the comfort, security, and convenience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting that the people interviewed would identify that they would have this need as they are booking, because at first glance this almost seems like a spontaneous opportunity. "Oh no, my flight was delayed 2 hours and I'm tired. Oh! Let me grab a room." But if you travel a lot, I suppose downtime can be expected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember reading about an earlier iteration of your same idea in one of your earlier posts, and I'm glad to see that you've decided to stick with it, because it's a great idea. The things that the people listed as their top priorities during downtime in the airport were very similar to mine, and I think that everyone who finds themselves stuck in an airport for a long layover or otherwise would greatly appreciate the implementation of your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amira, as a person who travels a lot, I think this service would be very beneficial. For example, the most recent time I traveled I thought there was going to be extra long lines at security so I planned accordingly and got to the airport super early, but the lines weren't that long and I had 2 hours to kill before my flight. I didn't want to wander around the airport with my carry-on luggage, and sitting in those waiting chairs for so long are almost as bad as the airplane seats! I would have loved to have a place to rest like your pods. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I really like this idea and I’ll be looking forward to getting to comment on more of your stuff because this is really interesting, I wish you would’ve provided a quick summary of each of the interviews or more in the final summary so I could see the bigger picture of it all and understand what’s working and isn’t working with the customers. Great job overall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amira, have you ever considered tweaking your idea into something more accessible/easier to find when customers are looking for something to do? In your interview the guy mentioned that he looks for things such as the massage chairs (something simple, kills some time, and doesn't cost a large amount of money that they weren't originally planning on spending). For example, scaling down your idea into a better/applicable version of those napping pods you see at places like google. Something about the design/concept would have to be different and beneficial to the customer. What are your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amira, the is would be a very useful idea, as I mentioned on another one of your posts. The interviews did a good job of probing people's minds to identify if it was something they would need. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete