Thursday, June 16, 2016

Halfway Reflection

To keep up with the requirements of this course, I have remained very adaptable and open minded. I don’t have a lot of experience thinking the way that the assignments have demanded, or doing the activities required. I have approached them drawing on the strong experience I do have, which has been to break seemingly overwhelming or unfamiliar objectives down into more manageable tasks so they do not seem as intimidating.

There were times, particularly before my first set of interviews when my feelings of insecurity were heightened. A big help was when I decided to audio record the conversations rather than video recording them. This took a lot of pressure off. 

Some tips for next semester’s students:
1) Schedule your first interview with someone very close to you, to help work out some of the bugs of the process. It’s a good idea to speak with people you don’t know for your interviews in general. But I interviewed my sister first, which helped put me at ease while I got used to the process.

2) Read ahead on assignments. I find it helps guide my general direction to have an idea of how the assignments are broken down, to really focus on the appropriate concept of the current assignment. This way I am not focusing accidentally on something that we will learn how to focus on more effectively in a future assignment.


3) Just do it! Even if I feel like I sound silly, or I feel unsure of what I am doing, it is always a big relief once I rip off the proverbial band aid and just get it done. Frequently once it is done I am more comfortable fixing it if I need to.


5 comments:

  1. Amira,
    I have to say that I agree with your whole analysis throughout your reflection. The interviewing part is definitely something that everyone goes through at first. I think it is the fact that it is so new to us to interview people. As to your tips for next semester students, I think the same way. I enjoyed reading your halfway reflection, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amira,
    I know how you feel this has been very different and in many situations I feel kind of awkward, but I think it might be helpful for people that are not too outgoing. The interviews have been a huge issue for me because I am traveling to several places and sometimes I am surrounded by people that do not even speak English. This took me by surprise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amira, even your general breakdown held valuable advice. So many of the assignments can feel intimidating and it's definitely easier to work through each one by breaking them up into smaller, more manageable tasks. I also love all three pointers you provided for future students. It's super smart for people to read ahead on the assignments even if they don't plan on working ahead. It helps guide there focus as we move through the class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amira, I can definitely stay that I also felt most uncomfortable before the first set of interviews. Everything you mentioned , actually, Ii could think back and remember a moment when I felt the same way. Your post really had some useful, practical, and valuable advice. Ripping off the bandaid, as you say, is a good way to motivate yourself to start the assignments. Just jump in. And when you are done you feel very accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Amira!

    I like how you mentioned adaptability and open-mindedness. I also feel anxious when I am doing the interviews. It helps to practice a couple of times, and the more times you do them, the better you get at them. You gave some great tips. I like your first tip, I did the same thing and it helped me get over my fear.

    http://nehalava.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete