Saturday, June 4, 2016

Testing the Opportunity Hypothesis Part 2

I conducted five interviews with potential customers for private rooms rentable in 30 minute increments in Orlando International Airport.


I found that those who would be customers for my product differ from those who would not based more on the circumstances at a given situation rather than the individual themselves.

For example, parents would not be likely to use these products and associated services when they are traveling with their children. In that case, they would likely let the children sleep in the airport, and they would go without sleep. They would not likely have work to get done if they are traveling with their kids, at least not so much that they would require a private, quiet comfortable space to complete it. The most obvious reason is of course they would not leave their children unattended.

Time is also a significant factor. For example, most people said if their wait in the airport is under 3 hours, they would not require a private, comfortable quiet place to sleep or do work. On the other hand, most people said if their wait was over 6 hours they would likely get a hotel room.

Some people, young men in particular said they don’t have much trouble sleeping in noisy public places, as long as there is a place for them to lay horizontal. Security and privacy were not as much a concern for them.

Of course another significant factor would be price, as some people I spoke with would not want to pay anything for such a service, they would rather stay uncomfortable.

Most people said they would not want to use this product or service if they are traveling with family, as they would prefer to stay together. However, some would be willing to split up, if all members of the family are adults, particularly if everyone would like their private space for a short period. 

Inside the Boundary: 
Who is in: People with time in the airport that they do not feel is being used efficiently who are in need of quiet, privacy and comfort for themselves only.
What the need is: Private rooms for use by a single person in need of short term quiet, privacy and comfort
Why the need exists: People are stuck in the airport and some do not feel they are able to make efficient use of their time due to lack of privacy, quiet and comfort.

Outside the Boundary:
Who is not: People traveling with groups or families, with very little or very much time between flights.
What the need is not: Somewhere for couples, families or groups to get privacy, quiet and comfort. Somewhere for a single person to get privacy, quiet and comfort long term.
Alternative Explanations: People feel they can creatively make use of their time without privacy, comfort or quiet.



7 comments:

  1. This is a really neat idea. I don't think I'd ever have this need personally, but I also have spent less than 20 hours in airports in my entire life. Maybe this will be something I would be able to use later in life if I become a frequent flier. It would be nice to have the option at least

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely an interesting idea, but I can see where people are coming from. For instance, checking in and checking out can be a bit of a hassle sometimes, and if the room will only be accessed a short while some people may not feel like it is worth it. There have definitely been times where I've wanted some peace in quiet during a layover at the airport. I think this idea is plausible, it would just need to be executed smoothly. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this overall concept is a good idea and would benefit numerous people. It does seem like you addresses all the potential areas where people may not use these types of room. You could also address how often these rooms would be clean because some people are very particular about clean rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how simply you stated everything. I feel that the outline of your boundaries well explained really well and clearly, without me having to question different types of people who may be in or outside of the boundary. I also think that your idea is a good one that could bring in a lot of revenue, but similar to the idea of reward clubs with different airlines so you’d have to tweak it to be slightly different from that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. - I’ve been a supporter of this idea from the start, and really think it could go places. However I’m confused why people with families or kids would be outside the boundary? They seem like the perfect customer, kids like to take naps, the parents need breaks, and it an enclosed space for the children to roam without the parents getting worried. I’d be interested to hear from different mothers and frequent family fliers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amira, this is a very insightful opportunity. People spend thousands of dollars on a more comfortable flying experience, just look at the premiums people pay to fly in first class. A large percentage of people who fly are flying for business purposes and could use privacy to finish some last minute work. It could be complicated to get leasing rights from the airport but it's a really good opportunity. Also, so many flights get delayed or rescheduled that it would be feasible to want some space for a little while. I have been stuck waiting in a terminal for hours more than once. Great job on the assignment, good luck with the rest of your project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's definitely going to be very dependent on location and culture, but there's certainly a huge market for this. Japan actually has a lot of capsule hotels, including in airports, where you basically pay by the hour for a small tube-shaped sleeping compartment that's just the right size for one person, and they're even stacked on top of each other. They've been very successful, so it's possible such a thing could be useful in certain places here as well.

    ReplyDelete