Friday, July 15, 2016

My Unfair Advantage

Resources:
1- Experience with Travel
  • V- This is valuable because I can relate to my customers since I have done a lot of traveling for business and pleasure.
  • R- This is not rare. Several people have experience with travel.
  • I- This is not imitable per se, it is not something someone could deliberately develop, but it is experience that could be organically developed over time.
  • N- There is no substitute for experience.
2- Experience with Customer Service
  • V- This is valuable because I can draw on my experience in creating wonderful customer experiences and seamlessly addressing customer conflict to grow this skill in this venture.
  • R- This is not rare. Several people have experience with customer service.
  • I- This is not imitable per se, it is not something someone could deliberately develop, but it is experience that could be organically developed over time.
  • N- There is no substitute for experience.
3- Experience with Orlando International Airport
  • V- This is valuable because I can draw on my experience in the airport to offer support to others traveling through it who do not know it as well.
  • R- This is not rare. Several people have experience in MCO.
  • I- This is not imitable per se, it is not something someone could deliberately develop, but it is experience that could be organically developed over time.
  • N- There is no substitute for experience.
4- Contacts with Travel Agents
  • V- This is valuable because travel agents who book travel can identify customers who have layovers or other circumstances that would lend to the benefit of my product. They can help promote and sell my product.
  • R- This is not rare. Several people have contacts with travel agents.
  • I- This is imitable. With appropriate networking and promotion, others can gain contacts with travel agents.
  • N- There are substitutes for this, such as contacts with other travel agents or travel booking websites.
5- Contacts with Business Travelers
  • V- This is valuable because I can promote my product directly to business travelers and their secretaries who book their travel.
  • R- This is not rare. Several people contacts with business travelers.
  • I- This is imitable. With appropriate networking and promotion, others can gain contacts with business travelers.
  • N- There are substitutes for this, such as contacts with other business travelers.
6- Contacts with Suppliers
  • V- This is valuable because I will need product from suppliers for my business.
  • R- This is not rare. Several people contacts with suppliers.
  • I- This is imitable. With appropriate networking and promotion, others can gain contacts with suppliers.
  • N- There are substitutes for this, such as contacts with other suppliers, and suppliers of different products.
7- Organization
  • V- This is valuable to any business.
  • R- This is not rare. Several people are organized.
  • I- This is imitable. One can learn organization.
  • N- There is no direct substitute for organization.
8- Focus
  • V- This is valuable to any entrepreneur.
  • R- This is not rare. Several people are focused.
  • I- This is somewhat imitable. It is possible to learn to be more focused, but the process is quite involved, and ironically, involves a great deal of focus/ commitment.
  • N- There is no direct substitute for organization.
9- Commitment
  • V- This is valuable to any professional.
  • R- This is not rare. Several people are committed.
  • I- This is somewhat imitable. It is possible to learn to be more committed, but the process is quite involved, and ironically, involves a great deal of focus/ commitment.
  • N- There is no direct substitute for commitment.
10- Adaptability
  • V- This is valuable to anyone.
  • R- This is not rare. Several people are adaptable.
  • I- This is somewhat imitable. It is possible to learn to be more adaptable, but the process is quite involved.
  • N- There is no direct substitute for adaptability.
I think my top resource is commitment, because none of my resources are very strong to make this idea into a reality, so it would require serious commitment to strengthening the other resources and acquiring more.

6 comments:

  1. I think all of these resources the you have listed are important characteristics to have with this concept. Commitment is important to have with this because you have to want to do this and find a reasonable solution for the travelers. I also think that your experiences is helpful because you know what the travelers will be dealing with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job with the post, we formatted ours in different ways but I really like what you did here and might adopt this way for my future posts. I think you have some great unfair advantages and these are all great for the business world. No doubt you will be great in whatever you decide to pursue. We did have some similar advantages, but yours went further into detail and I really like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You listed great resources, and I also like how this way laid out and easy to read and follow. I agree that your commitment to this idea is what will make it or break it. I can actually remember way earlier in the semester that you voiced this as a concern, saying I think because of marriage/family life you wouldn't be able to commit to this yourself, but possibly sell the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really interesting how from your list of all of the different contacts of suppliers, agents and travelers that the most important aspect in the list was your commitment. I think that true hustlers/entrepreneurs have a certain grit to the point where if they don't have their foot in the door with someone important to their venture, they will keep knocking on it until that door is open! I think that one of the sharks on Shark Tank said that to have a goal without a time limit is just a dream. It takes commitment to see an idea through to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amira, it is clear that you have many advantages to pursue this business venture! I think if you combine all of these resources and your drive for success you would make a difference in the travel industry. I have also noticed that you have a passion for this idea and that would strengthen your drive. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amira,
    I think that what you have listed as your unfair advantage is great. You can tell that you are very knowledgable with customer service and traveling aspects of business. The resources that you have listed towards the end of your post are very important for your concept. The passion that you have for this idea is noticeable, if you do decide to pursue it, I wish you good luck!

    ReplyDelete