Friday, May 13, 2016

My Entrepreneurship Story

My parents divorced when I was 6, and my mother was one of the several women who after a divorce, sought entrepreneurship as a means to manage the commitments of a single parent.
She opened a real estate office, to address a need she observed as Florida was growing at such a rapid pace. She was unexperienced and lacked a college education, and her business only lasted about two years.
She decided to pursue her degree. After she graduated she worked for a few small businesses. One company she worked for was a small developer from The Netherlands who sold vacation homes to Dutch families in Florida. 
Her education was in Economics, and she had experience with accounting in her various roles. She partnered with one of the owners to develop an advantageous financial and legal procedure for the sale of these properties, considering the financial and tax regulations of both countries. This extended the service the company could offer to include ongoing financial services for the international assets of the buyers. This was a great success, and she earned a partnership for her contributions to this advancement of the company. 
I worked for their company. This is a photo of our team at a Christmas party. My experience with her has been valuable and inspirational.

I enrolled in ENT3003 as part of the curriculum in the UFOnline Business Program. This is my first semester in this program. I admire the commitment to a new experience in learning, and I am enthusiastic to go with it and grow with it. 

3 comments:

  1. What an inspiring story! Thanks for sharing. That is awesome that you got to watch firsthand as your mom experienced and embraced entrepreneurship and you saw the fantastic success that she created for herself in the business world. Not only do you have your own passion to motivate you, but you have her story and passion as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's awesome that you got to experience second hand the ups and downs of entrepreneurship! Now it's your turn to experience it first hand! And that's amazing what your mother has accomplished. I bet having that work on your resume must look pretty great as well. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the others in that it's great that your mother ended up being so successful in her endeavors as a entrepreneur. You were able to see the highs and lows of a career in entrepreneurship first-hand, and I think that's an experience that not many people get to have and learn from. To add, since you've worked for the company, you have even more valuable experience that you can apply in any job you may have throughout the rest of your career.

    ReplyDelete